ALL Things

 


Several of my favorite scripture verses contain the words “all things”.  Here are a few of them:

·        And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.    Romans 8:28

 

·       Therefore, I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you.  Mark 11:24

 

·       And looking at them Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”  Matthew 19:26

 

These verses contain some big claims!  “All” is a huge sweeping word!  Can the scripture truly mean “ALL things”?! Every. Single. Thing.  Can all things truly be worked together for our good?  Did Jesus truly intend to promise that one who prays with faith will receive all things they have asked for?  Can Jesus make the massive claim that with God ALL things are possible? I heard a Christian speaker say, “if it’s not good, I know God is not done!”.  He appeared convinced that all things will work out for his good. If our belief in God’s power to redeem negative situations and turn them for our good is greater than our fear of how bad things could get, then we will have hope and be looking for God’s movement and answer. 

 

I suppose the crux of the questions surrounding the bold claims of scripture regarding “all things” is whether these claims point you to God’s power or the negative circumstances that could or do surround you.

 

When we read the verses above are we reminded of all we’ve seen God do on our behalf? Or are we remembering those circumstances that remain unresolved or painful?  Are we making a mental list of all that God has provided, the answered prayers, the testimonies and victories?  Or are we rehearsing the prayers that remain unanswered at this time, the things we’ve gone without or tried to stop wanting?  When we read the claim that all things are possible with God, does it build our faith or cause us to wonder about the power of God because of the impossibilities we still face?

 

Which list are you making?

 

Here are a couple more verses with claims for all things:

·       I will cry to God Most High, To God who accomplishes all things for me.  Psalm 57:2

 

·       I  can do all things through Him who strengthens me.  Philippians 4:13

 

It has been said; “you will find what you are looking for”.  I have experienced the reality of this.  If I am looking for evidence of God and His work in my life, I find it.  If I am in doubt and looking for reasons to question and diminish the evidence of God, I find it.  I can read Philippians 4:13 and be encouraged or frustrated.  It is a choice!  If my focus is on what I believe about God and His heart towards me, I will be empowered and strengthened.  It is easy to reflect on the victories and breakthroughs I have experienced.  My faith increases and I am equipped to face the difficult things in my current circumstances.  But, if instead, I choose to focus on what I lack, what I feel I cannot do or ways I feel that God has not strengthened or equipped me – then it is only natural that I will begin to remember and rehearse the places in life where I still don’t see or understand how God was present or victorious.  I am filled with questions and my doubt grows.

 

There is a real key in Proverbs 28:5.  The promise in that verse is, “those who seek  the Lord understand all things.”  Understanding is a result of our pursuit of God.  That too is a choice.  When faced with doubt, questions, uncertainty or impossibility, we can choose to pursue God and believe that there is an answer to be found in Him. 

 

I find reassurance in two more verses that contain promises about “all things”.  Jesus told his disciples in John 16:15, All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.”  This is part of Jesus’ instruction and promises to his closest friends just prior to His death.  He is reminding them of His intimate connection with the Father. All Jesus said and did was in response to the words and actions of Father God.  Now, as He is promising them the coming Holy Spirit, He explains that the Spirit will remind and tell them all things that He has told them.  Nothing is withheld.  All things are shared between the Father and the Son/Jesus.  Likewise, all things are shared between Jesus and the Holy Spirit and then also with us, the believers.  We have access to ALL THINGS!

 

God’s love for us is complete and does not withhold.  We see this assurance in yet another verse with “all things”: 

·       He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?”  Romans 8:32 

 

If God was willing to give His only son as payment for our shortcomings, our sin, then surely He will not withhold from us other things that we need.  God has set the measure of His love and it is extreme!  If He was trying to be safe or conservative, He blew it!  No.  I think all these grand, sweeping, all-encompassing promises and claims are indeed intended to apply to ALL things.  The writer of Colossians speaks of Jesus saying:

·        He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.  Colossians 1:17

 

There is nothing reserved about that claim!  There is NO thing outside of the impact of God’s influence or heart.  But it remains our choice to respond with faith or doubt.  We look for evidence to support one or the other….

I will close with another favorite: 

·       “He who sits on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Revelation 21:5 

 

There is great hope to be found in each of these scriptures and their grand claims of power, provision, ability, understanding, presence and goodness.  God is in the business of restoration and renewal.  In our places of doubt or lack of understanding, in the very places where we struggle to believe His promises to us, we can pursue Him for understanding and renewal.  We can ask that we be made new.  We can ask in faith for greater trust and surrender to His promises that claim wisdom, strength and provision for us in all things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose & Resolve

Faith that Protects You