Respair

 


Respair is an old and seldom used word, coined from two Latin roots meaning “again” and “hope.”  As a noun, respair means “the return of hope after a period of despair.” As a verb, respair means “to have hope again.”  What a beautiful word!

We all experience times where our hope becomes weary or slight.  We may have seasons of hopelessness and despair.  Respair is the opposite of despair. Respair is fresh hope; a recovery from despair. 

I believe that hope is a choice, not just a feeling.  I find that in times of life when I feel hopeless, I can turn towards hope.  It is not striving, trying to work up a feeling of optimism.  Rather, it is a determined choice to turn towards something greater that brings me hope.  It is a choice of focus and pursuit.

I may have hope in my ability or in someone else’s.  Instead of continuing to rehearse all the ways things are going wrong or not working out, I choose to switch my focus to what I know I can change, or who I can ask for help.  In this way I turn towards hope.  My feelings may not change significantly at first, or even at all.  It often takes time.  But typically, after awhile of determined focus on the potential solution, as opposed to the problem, I will begin to “feel” more hopeful.

That is respair.

Just the thought, the suggestion that you can return to a place of hope is refreshing and brings a sense of anticipation.  I believe that nothing is hopeless!  I believe that there is always a reason to hope again, to respair.  Often that return to hope begins with a seemingly small, uncommitted question or thought:  “Will it always be this bad?” or “I wonder if/when things will get better.”  It may be small, but that is a significant turn towards hope.  Wonder, desire; a hunger for more is the beginning of pursuit.  That wondering leads to the choice to hope again.

Hope often feels small in that initial choice to turn away from despair and hopelessness.  But hope grows!  The more you focus on what and why you can have hope, the more the belief and feeling of hope increases.  This growth requires that you stop rehearsing the reasons for despair, the circumstances that brought you to a place of hopelessness. 

Respair, the return to hope is a choice for your future.  In order to encounter your future, you have to begin to walk away from your past and be willing to leave it there, in the past!  Your choice to dwell on the reasons for hope and the potential for restoration, blessing, goodness and reward is what increases your hope.

Today – turn towards hope!  What brings you hope?  Begin to rehearse the things you are anticipating in your future, the good coming your way.  Remind yourself that you are turning from despair to hope.  Your days of hopelessness are past and you are walking towards your future and towards hope.  You are choosing to return to a place of hope.  Respair!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose & Resolve

Faith that Protects You