Faith that Protects You

 

I’ve been thinking of faith and our response to doubt and fear. We all have questions that we cannot answer and doubts that threaten to erode the confidence of our faith. Fear too is common. Sometimes our fears are big and limit our ability to function, other times fear is quiet and we attempt to cover it with action and bold declarations. What is a faith-filled response to these enemies of faith?

Ephesians 6 talks about the armor of God and the fiery arrows of the enemy. Faith is the shield we hold up that, according to Paul, extinguishes all the flaming arrows of the evil one. (Ephesians 6:16)  I’ve been pondering how exactly that works.

If faith is a shield, it stands between you and the enemy’s attack. The arrows shot by the enemy are intended to hit us! Jesus said in John 10:10 that the enemy comes to rob, kill and destroy. Our enemy, satan, intends to kill or at least injure us! But the second half of that verse is that Jesus came to give life, and life to the fullest (John 10:10). We know that our access to life and relationship with Jesus is by Faith. In Paul’s picture of the armor of God, faith is the shield. It is what we hold up to intercept the arrows aimed at our body! 

We know that our faith is in God. The context of this picture of faith as a shield is full of clues regarding the placement of our faith. Verse 10 commands us to be strong in God and says that His power, or might, is our strength! Paul introduces the picture of armor as belonging to God and indicates in verse 11 that its purpose is to allow us to stand firm against the schemes of satan. The other parts of this armor also reveal that it is focused on God. We are instructed to put on truth, righteousness, the gospel of peace and salvation. All of these originate in God and are accessed by faith.

Paul clarifies that our enemy is not man, but rather the forces of darkness, wickedness, and evil. The armor of God equips us to resist evil and be able to stand firm. (verse 13).

The purpose of faith is to intercept the enemy’s arrows and extinguish them. I read once that the Roman shields of Jesus’ time were made of wood and were sometimes covered in leather to reinforce them. Soldiers would often soak their shields in water before the battle. The water added weight to the shield but also made it increasingly effective against arrows that were on fire!

The thing about fire is that it spreads quickly. A flaming arrow is a double threat; the point is meant to pierce and injure, and aimed well it can kill. The potential of setting fire and the possibility of that fire spreading increases the risk and possible harm. I think the arrows shot by the enemy can include anything in line with his agenda of robbing, killing, and destroying the work and people of God. Fear, accusation, doubts, and lies are all arrows that are aimed at us. One of the titles given the enemy is “Father of Lies” (John 8:44).

The arrow is shot at us and its harmful intent is intercepted by our shield, by faith. Whatever we believe about God, what we are convinced of and believe is what we hold up in front of us.

I believe that God is good. I believe that He is with me and for me. I have confidence in God as my savior, protector, provider, and redeemer. I believe that I have peace and strength that is not based on me or my own efforts. These beliefs and more make up my shield. I have faith in God’s character and in His action on my behalf.

These are some of the arrows that have been aimed and shot at me:

·       You are alone and weak.

·       God is not providing for your family.

·       Your prayers must be ineffective because they remain unanswered!

·       God’s promises are true for others, but not for you.

Others are questions or doubts:

·       What if my son is not healed?  What if the problem gets worse?

·       I don’t know how this promise or dream will ever be realized…

·       What if God doesn’t redeem this loss?

These are just a few of the “arrows” that are aimed at me with the intent to diminish my resolve, rob my joy, and discourage me from having bold faith and hope in God.

I am increasingly aware that the way I respond to these thoughts doubts, questions and accusations is critical. The picture of faith as a shield in Ephesians 6 is powerful to me. My response is faith. I can’t control the arrows that are coming at me from the enemy, but I can hold up my shield!  I can increase my faith and reinforce my shield.  I focus on what I believe to be true about God; His character and how He interacts with His people. I focus on what He says about me and what His promises are. Intentionally rehearsing these things increases my faith. This focus also keeps fear from spreading, like fire, to other areas of my life.

This is how we resist the enemy and keep standing firm in our faith. In any place you are feeling discouraged, fearful, or weary – begin to focus on what you believe.  Picture your shield and hold it out in front of you. Faith is real!  Hebrews 11 defines faith as a substance!  Your faith is what keeps the arrows from hitting you!  You are not unprotected or uncovered. You are covered by your faith and faith increases as you hear God!

 

 

Comments

  1. Faith is a beautiful thing❤🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! Thank you for reading and responding to this. May you experience an increase of faith and victory in your life!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose & Resolve